Monday, March 13, 2006

A Rambling Rant from Georgia Tech

Punch me in the face!

I don't know where, I don't know when, but as musical tastes go, I have turned into a pussy.

I just spent the last 40 minutes listening to (among others) Rick Ashtely, the 5th Dimension and then something for the kids JoJo, Chris Brown and Kelly Clarkson.

Do I like these artists more than my "when asked" listed favourites? (The Who, Rolling Stones, Pearl Jam, Zeppelin, Dylan, Elton John [pre-1979] and newbie The Strokes)

ABSOLUTELY NOT. NEVER, NOT IN A MILLION YEARS EVER, EVER, FUCKING EVER....

but it seems that I am just in a bit of a better mood at this point in my life and I need something to pick me up, rather than match the pissy, hormone fuelled mood I was in for the better part of the 1980's and 1990's.

These days when I go looking for a song from my youth (or enjoy something with the same vibe [yes I said "vibe"]), it is rarely something angry, but more likely a hot dance number from my nervous first days of boy girl dances. (i.e. She wants to dance with me)

I know, right. Punch that fucking pussy in the face.

I wish it was so simple, but I am addicted. I cannot get enough Lionel Ritchie or Gowan. I know I like "Bargain" more than "Yo". I know it. It is a fact, but I can't stop listening to "Yo", while "Bargain" remains unplaced.

Why am I in this mind set? Well seems pretty simple. When I was a teenager trying to get laid I identified with angry songs of unsuccessful or lost love. Helped me lick my wounds. Now I want to here the song I nailed the girl to in the 9th grade. Helps me relive my sad past triumphs. It is that simple.

Random girl - "Oh I love Rick Ashtley" Ben - "Yeah me too baby, he's my favourite...come on just let me. Please!" That's the simple answer.

Speaking of sad past triumphs, calling teenage sex a triumph is no understatement. When you weren't cool and didn't have moves or cloths you were lucky to catch a city bus let alone sleep with a girl. So I think a 17 year old getting over on a 25 year old women is like winning the Stanley Cup. It wasn't like I was Nick Kypreos 'winning" with the Rangers. I was me, out there alone, with nothing but a preppy hair cut and a bullshit story. It cost me 2 weeks pay to pull that off (not a hookers price, but the cost of a hotel room). Put that into hockey player money and then I think you'll start to see the size of the accomplishment.

Now all that relived....Does any of this explain why a song featured heavily in an episode of "designing women" (marry me Bill - 5th Dimension) has me singing my ass off today? Not a chance, that one is a fucking mystery.

Does that explain why I am listening to 16 year old boys singing pussy assed dance songs? Nope.

Maybe I just don't need to hear "I can't quit you babe", but I need to here and associate with a young urban male trying to attract even younger urban girls...oh shit!

Oh no, daddy's got a problem. Maybe you should just punch me in the face.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home